Best Pore Minimizing Products for Oily Skin
There’s nothing better than having healthy skin and clean pores. It’s not uncommon for people to worry about the state of their skin and their pore size. Frequently people troubled by oily skin also have larger pores. Here are some helpful skin routines for large pores, and the best pore minimizing products for oily skin.
What Causes Large Pores?
Your pores are simply the opening in your skin for hair follicles. Each pore extends through several layers of skin and can grow a single shaft of hair, whether you see one or not. We all have different sized pores, and yours might be large for a variety of reasons:
- Genetics – You may be able to blame your ancestors for the size of your pores since genetics are largely responsible for this trait. This isn’t the worst thing, since larger pores and the oily skin that comes with them can also counteract the wrinkles that come with aging.
- Age – Speaking of aging, you might find that your pores are getting larger as you age, whether this runs in your family or not. As we get older, the collagen in our skin breaks down, making skin less elastic. Skin will stretch more, and pores become more visible.
- Sun – Your pores are also likely to expand if you’ve spent a lot of time in the sun over the years. Sun damage on your skin will expand your pores due to thickening skin cells and inflammation.
- Habits – Finally, some of your habits might lead to larger pores. Lack of hydration and poor diet are a few. But the big one is smoking since regularly inhaling nicotine can shrink the blood vessels that deliver nourishment and oxygen to your skin, drying it out.
Your pore size is also closely related to the amount of oil in your skin.
What Causes Oily Skin?
If you’re bothered that your skin emits a little extra shine, you’re not alone. In fact, everyone has a bit of oil in their skin, but some just have more than others.
Each of your pores has a sebaceous gland underneath it that produces natural oils called sebum. This helps your skin stay healthy and hydrated.
For some, the sebaceous gland produces too much oil, creating oily skin. If your skin is overly shiny or greasy, this likely applies to you.
The causes of oily skin are many. It can come from things like genetics (blame mom and dad), age (you’ll likely have less oily skin as you age), and climate (hot, humid climates are culprits).
Enlarged pores are also causes of oily skin. When your pores are larger, they tend to produce more oil.
Skin Care Routine for Large Pores
If you have large pores and oily skin, you aren’t completely powerless. In fact, there may be a few things you’re doing that are making the problem a bit worse. If you’re looking for a skin care routine for large pores, here are a few Dos and Don’ts.
——— ADVERTISEMENT – CONTINUE READING BELOW ———
- Do use gentle, water-soluble cleansers on your skin.
- Don’t use products with harsh ingredients or ones that will dry out your skin too much.
- Do wash off all of your makeup before going to bed to prevent clogged pores.
- Don’t use bar soap or other cheap skin care products that could clog your pores.
- Do exfoliate your skin with a leave-on, non-abrasive product that can shed dead skin built up on the surface that might otherwise gather in your pores.
- Don’t use harsh cleansing brushes or scrubs that can make your skin flaky and dry.
- Do use products that contain niacinamide, which can give your skin with large pores a “tightened up” look.
- Don’t spend too much time in the sun, and if you do, use plenty of sunscreen.
Best Pore Minimizing Products for Oily Skin
While you can’t shrink your pores, you can make them appear smaller and treat your oily skin with different products. Here are some of the most popular and effective pore minimizing products for oily skin.
Pore Minimizer Treatment
In addition to a good treatment regimen, you can use some specific pore minimizer products. Here are several that come recommended:
This brand, which is famous for its nose, strips, has another popular product to declog your pores. The microcrystals in Biore cleanse your pores of impurities and oil and make them appear smaller.
Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask
When it comes to cleaning your pores, charcoal does wonders. And this charcoal mask from Origins is both effective and affordable. It is made with bamboo charcoal and China clay, which removes excess oil and stops blackheads from forming. You should see results with your pores after using this treatment for just seven days.
Paula’s Choice Resist Daily Pore-Refining Treatment with 2% BHA
This is an exfoliant product that you leave on and one that you can use up to twice daily. It cleans out your congested pores, and the salicylic acid gets rid of any debris.
Pore Minimizer Serum
There are also several options if you’d prefer a pore minimizer serum. Here are a few of the top choices:
Skin Food Peach Sake Pore Skincare
This is a skin serum that has been around since the 1950s, originating in Asia. It has helped women in Korea keep smooth, silky skin with no visible pores for decades. Now, it can do the same for you.
The formula contains peach extract, rice sake, silica powder, and vitamins A and C. It lowers the oil in your skin, makes pores appear smaller, and smells wonderful.
This serum by Glossier is one of the top products of its type to minimize the appearance of your pores. It is made with niacinamide and zinc, and won’t irritate your skin like some other products. It is also lightweight and easily absorbed by your skin.
SK-II Facial Treatment Essence
If you don’t mind spending some cash on your pore minimizer serum, check out this product by Sephora that will run you about $100. It is somewhere between a serum and a toner, that is quick to absorb into your skin and promises to reverse signs of skin damage.
Pore Minimizer Makeup
After you treat your skin, you’ll still want to wear makeup, which can clog your pores and start the cycle all over again. Experts recommend that you use a foundation primer that is designed for large pores. Here are some of the top pore minimizing makeup products.
SMASHBOX Photo Finish Foundation Primer
This is a vegan-friendly foundation primer made by SMASHBOX that controls oily skin for up to eight hours. It also hides away your pores so that your other products are more effective.
Dr. Brandt Skincare Pores No More Pore Refiner Primer
This primer by Dr. Brandt contains salicylic acid and will gently exfoliate your skin to rebalance it and combat dead skin cells. It sounds like a treatment (it is), but it’s also something you want to apply before your makeup to absorb excess oil and act as your canvas.
If you look in the mirror and are instantly concerned about oily skin or large pores, you have options. Use these skin care routine tips and our suggestions for the best pore minimizing products for oily skin to make your pores appear smaller.