11-Step Guide to Losing Weight by Intermittent Fasting
You might’ve heard about intermittent fasting and wondered if it’s right for you. This guide will help you make an informed decision.
What Is Intermittent Fasting and its Different Types?
Intermittent fasting (a.k.a. IF) involves fasting or not eating for a certain period of time (fasting window) and then eating for a certain period of time (eating window). The different types are:
- 12:12 — Eating for 12 hours and fasting for the other 12. Perfect for IF newbies since it allows 3 regular-timed meals and controls bedtime snacking.
- 16:8 or Leangains involves 16 hours of fasting and 8 hours of eating — basically skipping breakfast or dinner.
- 5:2 or Fast Diet involves restricting calories to 500 calories/day (600 calories for men) 2x a week on non-consecutive days, and eating normally on the other five days.
- Eat, Stop, Eat involves whole-day fasting once or twice a week.
- Alternate Day Fasting or fasting every other day—consuming only 500 calories—may result to quicker weight loss, but only if it fits your lifestyle.
- 20:4 or Warrior Diet is an advanced method, involving a 20-hour fasting window and a four-hour eating window, preferred by busy people.